Director of Advancement
Reports to: Executive Director
This senior level position serves as a key Antique Boat Museum (ABM) staff team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the ABM. In partnership with the ED & fellow ABM staff team, this position is responsible for primary fundraising and development activities. The Director of Advancement will help forge new relationships to build the ABM’s financial resources adding to its visibility, and impact. The Director of Advancement will carry out existing fundraising efforts, and design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support at a multitude of levels.
In addition, the Director of Advancement will work closely with the Board of Trustees and support board members as they take an active fundraising role.
This key staff position provides management, leadership, and visionary responsibility for the Museum’s advancement activities, which includes but is not limited to annual fundraising, special campaigns, event and general sponsorships, and the full range of membership levels. Working closely with the Executive Director, Advancement Office staff, the Director of Advancement will:
- Oversee the development of the next Birthday campaign, plan and oversee future fundraising campaigns to attract the maximum gift support possible for the Museum.
- Increase and steward Friends of the Museum and general membership levels.
- Cultivate museum relationships with top-level benefactors.
- Sustain relationships with existing private foundation supporters.
- Build new relationships with corporate and private foundations.
- Oversee the design and implementation of a corporate sponsorship program.
- Oversee the creation of a grant-writing machine to tap into state and federal funding.
- Assist with and maximize the scope, function, and influence of the International Advisory Council.
- Work with the TIBM to maximize Museum funding opportunities in Canada.
- Insure that the infrastructure of the Advancement Office is appropriately supported through the development and maintenance of software, policies and procedures manual, annual action plans and departmental operating budgets.
- Support and partner with the ED and Board members on major/minor fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the ED and Controller to develop and implement ABM’s financial strategy.
- Actively work with the ED and ABM staff team to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of funding proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship management approach.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position ABM ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Monitor donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to ED and Board and fellow ABM staff team.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the Advancement program.
- Identify, develop, and mentor the Advancement Office team; conduct annual staff evaluations.
- Serve as the staff liaison of the Advancement Committee.
- Play a role in the Marketing efforts and support the Director of Events and Marketing.
- With direction by the ED oversee Board communications.
- Serve as the production manager of the ABM Newsletters and Annual Report (Gazette Annual)
- Carry out other responsibilities and tasks as requested or assigned by the Executive Director.
This is a salaried full-time year round position. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and the names of 3 professional references to Director of Advancement Search, Antique Boat Museum, 750 Mary Street, Clayton, NY 13624 or email submissions to email@example.com.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials by October 31, 2016 to be considered for this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.